High Performance Lab 002In this solocast, Adam walks through a deep dive on stress, the stress response, how stress evolved over time and six strategies for proactively managing stress.
Founder of Perform True
"The most important piece of managing stress proactively is anticipating the stressful periods ahead and putting structure in place..."
Lord of the Pacific Northwest
Adam goes on a solo mission for this episode to dive deep into stress management. In this long-form podcast, we talk through how to define the concept of stress given its subjective nature, the different categories of stress, why it’s healthy in manageable doses, how our stress response works, the evolution of stress up until the modern day and finish off with our six strategies for managing stress and not letting it manage you.
"All of the things that were designed as a response to keep us alive (thousands of years ago) and defend against real threats...they're now stagnant and manifesting themselves internally - and doing damage to our metabolic processes, overall health and leading to chronic disease..."
- Intro [start to 6:30]
- Stove Top Beatz [6:40 to 8:20]
- Six (6) Stress Management Strategies [8:30 to 45:20]
- Honing in On The Concept of Stress [45:30 to 54:15]
- How our Stress Response Works: A Hypothetical Scenario (this is where big foot comes in) [54:30 to 58:30]
- How our Stress Response Works: Play by Play [58:45 to 1:04:15]
- Common Signs & Symptoms [1:04:30 to 1:11:00]
- Evolution of The Stress Response [1:11:15 to 1:19:28]
- American Psychological Association: Snapshot of Statistics [1:19:45 to 1:24:45]
- Closing Thoughts [1:25:00 to 1:26:00]
- “The Corporate Athlete: How to Achieve Maximal Performance in Business and Life” by Dr. Jack L Groppel
- Harvard Business Review – “How to Manage Someone Who Thinks Everything is Urgent”
- Forbes – Top 5 Tips for Managing Client Expectations
- Harvard Business Review – “The Making of a Corporate Athlete”
- The Wim Hof Method Fundamentals
- Dr. Rhonda Patrick of FoundMyFitness advocates heavily for high temperature exposure via infrared sauna – check out here Discussion with Joe Rogan
- Digital Detox – Grayscale your phone
- Digital Detox – Offtime – disconnecting from digital in a hyper connected world
- Joseph Mercola – Which Foods are Best for Managing Stress
- Ashwagandha – The Asian Herb That Can Reduce Cortisol Levels by 27%. Ben Greenfield gets his Ashwagandha through Organifi’s Green Juice.
- Check out Epibolics for over 21,000 pharmaceutical grade supplements and expert advice on the supplement industry; including those mentioned below
- Highly recommended brands and supplements for managing stress: Cortisol Calm by Pure Encapsulations and Phytisone by Thorne Research
- Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari